The Library building
The Main Library rests under the spreading slopes of a great pitched roof with attractive stencilled panels which are ornamented with scrolls and Latin mottoes and studded with carved bosses. The Library has the appearance of a medieval tithe barn with a gallery and reading bays below. Fitted throughout with carved oak, mythical creatures, flowers and fruit can be seen in carvings above the book shelves in the reading bays which also incorporate the original oak tables.
The portraits are from a collection of fifty portraits presented to the College in 1894; they are of clergymen ejected from the Church of England by the Act of Uniformity in 1662 most of whom became founder members of the Nonconformist churches.
Additional study space is available in the Law, Theology and PPE reading rooms.