Hours, access and conditions of use
The Main Library and Reading Rooms are currently closed until further notice. Students in Oxford may request a key from the Lodge to fetch books. Anyone else wishing to use the Library must apply in writing to the Librarian.
The Library is up a flight of stairs on the first and second floor of the building. If physical access to the buildings is a problem staff will collect books for readers with disabilities. Please get in touch to discuss this and any other ways in which we can help.
Conditions of use
The privilege of unsupervised 24 hour access relies on all users cooperating to maintain a pleasant environment for study:
- Access to the Library is restricted to current members of College. Non-members wishing to visit or use the Library must seek permission from the Librarian or Fellow Librarian in advance.
- Library doors must be kept locked at all times. CCTV is in operation in the Main Library and on the Library landings.
- Access to the Gallery in the Main Library is strictly forbidden for safety reasons.
Food and Drink
- Smoking, eating, drinking and bringing food and drink into the Libraries is prohibited (bottled water is allowed). Fines will be levied against battels for ignoring this rule.
- The Libraries must not be used for socialising. Please be quiet at all times.
- Mobile phones may not be used in the Libraries or on the Library landings.
- No audio device may be played aloud in the Libraries or on the Library landings.
Desk and personal item use
- Personal computers may be used but power cables must not pose a tripping hazard.
- Readers may not reserve desks.
- Readers may not use the Library shelves to store their files and personal possessions. These will be removed.
- Desks will be cleared of personal items and books each morning. The Library takes no responsibility for personal items left unattended.
Borrowing of books
- Registered readers may borrow not more than twelve books at a time.
- Borrowed books are for the use of the borrower only. They must not be lent to peers, they remain your responsibility whilst issued to your card.
- All borrowing must be recorded (on the automated system, or with the Librarian).
- All books must be renewed or returned during the First Week of each Term or returned when required by another reader.
- All journals and reference books are confined to the Library.
- No marks of any kind may be made in a Library book. This includes the use of ‘post-it’ notes.
- Battels will be charged for lost or damaged books and books not returned on leaving the College.
All Library rules are enforceable by the Librarian, who is empowered to refer to the Dean any infringements of the rules which he/she deems worthy of the imposition of an authorised penalty which may include the withdrawal of the Library privileges.