Adam Von Trott Annual Lectures
2016 - Dr Peter Ammon: 'Britain and Europe: A German Perspective'
In his lecture entitled "Britain and Europe: A German Perspective", Ambassador Ammon outlined the common cultural ties shared by the United Kingdom and Germany and emphasised the importance of the European identity of both countries.
A one-day seminar entitled ‘Britain and Germany in Europe: What Prospects?’ took place at Rhodes House, Oxford, on 7 November 2013.
Organised by the Adam von Trott Memorial Appeal, Mansfield College, the seminar was attended by 140 people including a group of students from the University of Göttingen. Among the questions addressed at the seminar were: How to promote peace and prosperity in Europe and in the world? What roles for Britain and Germany? What prospects for European integration?
Speakers were David Hannay (Lord Hannay of Chiswick, former British Ambassador to the EU & the UN) David Marquand (former Principal of Mansfield College), Dr Rudolf Adam (Minister and Chargé d’Affaires, German Embassy, London). Paul Betts (Professor of Modern European History, Oxford), Kalypso Nicolaïdis (Professor of International Relations, Oxford) and Hartmut Mayer (Fellow of St. Peter’s College)
Sessions of the seminar were chaired by Anthony Tucker (Convenor of Adam von Trott Memorial Appeal, Mansfield College), Christine Dalby (Representation of the European Commission, London) and Keith Jenkins (former Associate General Secretary, Conference of European Churches)
- Click here for the programme of the seminar
- Click here for the text of Lord Hannay’s speech
- Click here for a synopsis of Professor Marquand’s speech
Videos of the seminar
- Click here for the first session (Lord Hannay, Professor Marquand)
- Click here for the second session (Dr Adam, Professor Betts)
- Click here for the third session (Professor Nicolaïdis, Dr Mayer)
The seminar was followed by
- A pilgrimage to see Adam von Trott’s papers in the Archives of Balliol College at St Cross Church, and the memorials to him in Mansfield College & Balliol College
- A service in commemoration of him in Balliol College, conducted by the Chaplain of Balliol (Douglas Dupree) with the former Chaplain of Mansfield (Tanya Rasmussen).
Click here for the report of the service www.balliol.ox.ac.uk/news/2013/november/chapel-service-commemorates-adam-von-trot
Professor Timothy Garton Ash: 'Are there moral foundations of European power?'
Reverend Dr Keith Clements: ‘Echoes from the German Resistance’ Published in Humanitas (Journal of the George Bell Institute) Vol 11, No 1, pages 34-55
Professor David Marquand: ‘The Future of Europe’
Dr Benigna von Kruesenstjern: ‘Adam von Trott and the British’ Published in Humanitas (Journal of the George Bell Institute) Vol 11, No 1, pages 3-16
Professor Sir Ian Kershaw: ‘How Popular Was Hitler’s Regime?’
Professor Michael Freeden: 'Supporting a State: The Peculiarities of Political Commitment’
Professor Martin Conway: 'The Heirs of von Trott: Post-War Western Europe’
Professor Margaret MacMillan: 'Varieties of Resistance'